Header image  
A covert division of OMET
 
 
    home
 
Samiya, Tracey and Todd -Process and Analysis

LEGO CHALLENGE

DAY 1

The challenge was presented to us by our Cadre Padre Bill in a Power Point. Our first idea was get into our larger cadre group and discuss our strategy. As it turns out, we had a legos expert in our cadre and he was able to mentor us and provide us with some initial direction. We decided to divide up the challenges and our group picked the task in which a device had to be built to read a strip of paper with different colored lines and read a code correctly.

Everyone had ideas on how to build the "device" and an improptu "brain storm" happened. The first idea was to build car that would drive over the strips and read the colors. We got the device built but we didn't really know how practical it would be because we didn't have the programming piece yet. We got done relatively quickly so we decided to build a backup device that was two wheels touching and would pull the paper across a sensor to read the colors. We felt good because we had Plan A and Plan B.

DAY 2

On Day 2 we were handed the instruction manaul and the PC program for programming the lego "bricks" (the brains of the lego robots). Immediately we dove into trying to get our robot to just respond to a command . It was a baby step but when we finally got the brick to go forward we were ecstatic. Everyone was jazzed because we had collectively come up with a successful program! Next we started to make the robot do the rest of the movement steps we need it to do. Everything slowed down to a crawl. Somewhere in the process we decided to ditch Plan A and not use a vehicle to go over the strips. We started working on Plan B and completely focused our effort on getting the rollers to work successfully. Each little tiny step seemed painstakingly slow and we began to feel like we would never get it to work correctly. Our main goal at this point was to get "something" to work....

DAY 3

We finally got the movement to work but now we needed to the sensors to correctly detect each of the colors. This proved to be VERY difficult because the sensor is not incredibly accurate and every little fluctuation of light affected the results. It was a process of trial and error, with heavy emphasis on the "error". After a while, we again decided "Plan B" was not going to work so we went back to "Plan A" again. We had some new ideas and the vehicle started to work. We still did not have everything working correctly but things were starting to come together.

DAY 4

This was it....really our last day to work on this and we weren't completely ready. Our vehicle would read the strips but not always accurately. Also, we didn't have our movement code working perfectly and the program was not behaving consistently. Again, with lots of trial and error we finally got the program close. By 10:30pm, we were SUCCESSFUL and our vehicle worked about 90% of the time. As we looked back on what we accomplished, we realized that without the teamwork and some input from people outside of our little group, we would never have made it. The feeling of making it all work was exhilirating. Finally....SUCCESS!